Paint your tired, old rattan or cane conservatory furniture Conservatory furniture made from natural materials such as rattan and cane can be painted so if you need to revitalise old furniture this is the ideal solution. Brush gently with a soft wire brush to remove any loose fragments.
Clean your cane chair with a mild detergent, water and a bristle brush. Apply primer. Use a compressor sprayer, spray paint or a brush to paint on wood primer. Let the chair dry for 8 hours. Turn the chair over and apply another coat of primer to the chair .
If you are planning to paint wicker , do NOT attempt to do it with a brush ! If you ‘ve ever seen wicker painted with a brush you ‘ll know why. Unless you are planning to spend a week doing it with a brush the size you would use for fine artwork, it is impossible to get a good finish.
How to paint wicker , cane , rattan and bamboo Spray- paint is the best way to achieve a smooth, even finish. Clean the piece thoroughly before painting . Use a primer, as it evens out any bumps and reduces the amount of paint you’ll need. Several light coats of spray- paint gives an even finish and make sure each coat dries before applying the next one.
The wicker should be free of any existing coatings. Paints and varnishes will prevent the transparent wood stain from penetrating the wicker surface. Transparent oil-based stain is a good choice if you are starting with unfinished, or “nude” wicker furniture. Make sure the furniture is clean, dry, and free of coatings.
“The difference is that rattan is a material, whereas wicker is the style and method of weaving,” Zoe explains. “ Wicker can be woven from rattan as well as many other natural or synthetic materials, which is where the confusion often lies.” Potato (or rattan ) is the material, where mashed (or wicker ) is the technique.
Natural wicker accepts acrylic paint quite well and it helps protect the natural wicker longer than other paints .
As soon as the paint is bubbled up, you can start to scrape and strip . This is such a satisfying step as you easily clear away the abusive paint. The scraper tool I have works well for about 90% of the surfaces on the chair . For the other 10% you ‘ll need to use your small wire brush.
Using a high- oil content furniture polish product when you dust helps to keep the cane supple, too. Lemon oil , orange oil , or mineral oil (use sparingly) applied to both the top and bottom of the cane seat a few times a year is usually sufficient.
Getting paint into all the nooks and crannies of wicker furniture would take forever and it’s hard to get an even coat. Plus, you’ll ruin your good paint brush by pouncing it into the woven wicker to work the paint in. Spray Paint – This will work on small projects.
All types of wicker patio furniture and many pieces of indoor wicker furniture can be quickly washed with a home or automotive power-washer . Furniture made with paper wicker , however, would be damaged by water and should be cleaned by hand.